$ 60.00 $ 80.00
This exceptional Hors d’Age displays a masterful balance of ripe fruit, wood and buttery orange pound cake. Smooth and deep with a wealth of rancio. Minimum 15 years old.
Gold medal Concours Mondial de Bruxelles, 2015
97 points. Wine Enthusiast, 2012
92 points. "Excellent" Ultimate Spirits Challenge, 2010
4 1/2 stars Doug Frost & Tim Fish, New York Times
Gold medal Concours Agricole de Paris, 2010
4 stars Spirit Journal, 2006
"Superb, Highly recommended" Wine Enthusiast, 2006 & 2007
Born in 1875, Prosper Delord started the company as an itinerant distiller. He gained a reputation for his dedication and expertise by carting his traveling pot still around to the farms in the Bas Armagnac region. When his son Gaston took over in 1925 he officially founded the company name and established the business as a permanent site in Lannepax.
Today, great grandsons Jerome and Sylvain carry on the same tradition, having established a reputation for quality that is unsurpassed. Owners of a prime 20 hectare vineyard in the heart of the Bas Armagnac, (widely known as the 1st Cru), they have been distilling, ageing and blending their eaux-de-vie the exact same way their great-grandfather did. Their ageing cellars contain Armagnacs dating back to 1904. When touring the distillery and ageing cellars, it feels as if time has stopped and you almost expect to see grandfather Prosper, coming around the corner pulling his itinerant pot still with the help of his two cows.
Delord Bas Armagnac
Technical information :
- Use of high quality fruit, harvested from the best sandy soils of the Bas Armagnac.
- No use of pesticides or fertilizers.
- A good use of the grape varietals : 70% Ugni blanc (gives a good foundation), 20% Baco
(gives roundness), 5% Colombard (herbal aromas) and 5% Folle Blanche (floral notes).
- A particularly slow single distillation process.
- A distillation at low temperature (around 52 to 58 degre), which enables more flavors, fatty acids and character to remain in the spirit.
- Use of 10% Gascon oak to give good tannins, darker color and beautiful spices.
- More ageing than required by law.